Monday, February 17, 2014

From January 1 - February 17, 2014

After much looking at "Help" and reading, I think I'm ready for blogging...the emphasis is on 'I think".   As Hercules Periot would say, "My little gray cells, they are working."

About a week ago, it was as if Heaven was spring cleaning and the down from the pillows was escaping with wild abandon as snow upon Central Oregon.  Some of us had our noses pressed to the window pane humming "let it snow, let it snow..." while others were grimacing because they had to go out into the stuff.  While my sympathies were with you, I could hardly wait to strap on my skis and out my own back door I could cross country.  The tracks of the vehicles in and out of the area, as well as the sled runners, made for a wonderful pressed trail for the skis to follow.


Our greenhouse construction came to an abrupt halt with the snow but, oh, we know the snow will melt, work will begin soon and the greenhouses will be completed before we can say "jimmy-crack-corn".  The melting snow will provide nourishment to each lavender plant.  I love the cycle of life giving water, regardless of its form:  liquid, frozen or vapor.  Hydrogen and oxygen--two parts to one--it is the small miracles of life that sometimes give the most reward.


Lavender is a most practical plant to have in the landscape, especially for Central Oregon.  Insulated by the snow from the freezing wind and single-digit temperatures, it quietly waits out the storms and hunkers down from the freezing winds just to bloom majestically with the warmth of  the sun upon the earth that turns the solid into liquid.  Another miracle of life that, once learned, gives its own reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment