Wednesday, June 25, 2014

THE SECRET

We have a secret, just we three,
The robin, and I, and the sweet cherry tree;
The bird told the tree, and the tree told me,
And nobody knows it but just us three.

But of course the robin knows it best,
Because he built the--I shan't tell the rest;
And laid the four little--something in it--
I'm afraid I shall tell it every minute.

But if the tree and the robin don't peep,
I'll try my best the secret to keep;
Though I know when the little birds fly about
Then the whole secret will be out.
--Author Unknown--



"Get on the bike and come with me," my husband said.  "I'm weeding," (as if that wasn't obvious), I replied.  Weeding has been my life's work for about two months and I am getting to know each weed by name--noxious and obnoxious!  "No, quick.  Don't argue with me; get on the bike."  I was tired of weeding anyway...it's not like weeds don't wait--and I took off my gloves, used the handle of the digging claw to get up and climbed onto the back of the four-wheeler.  Away we went, down to Block B.  "Get off the bike and walk down the row."  I got off the bike and walked down the row.  "Stop!  Now".  I stopped... sorta now!  "Don't move!  What do you see?"  I saw two killdeers with broken wings, running towards me, then running away; squatting and hiding behind a lavender plant as if they were wounded just to start the dance all over again--running towards me, running away; then squatting down with broken wings--crying the whole time their lamenting song..  And, then... I saw... as if by magic they appeared at my feet:  four perfectly oval eggs, lying on the ground, quietly waiting for just the right time to fulfill the completeness of life.   Aahhh!  New life at my feet and parents doing all they could to protect that new life.  I was an intruder and, now that I knew why the killdeer were singing their lamentation, my husband and I quietly (as quiet as you can on a four-wheeler) and quickly left their home.  I debated whether to go back the next morning and take photos to share.  I decided to go and, again, the parents doing all they could to lure me away from those four precious lives they held so dear.  I took the photo, backed away and tried to take photos of the mom and dad while on the bike, away from the nest, but they were staying within a certain perimeter of that nest, always on vigil, never losing focus of the reason for their being.  I marvelled at how God thought to instill in these small creatures such an inate nurturing for their young.  The thought instantly flashed through my mind that He must care of us, too, the creatures He made in His own image.  If He thought enough during creation to provide clothing for the lilies of the field (Matthew 6) or food for the ravens and giving value to the sparrows (Luke 12), of  how much more value must we be to Him.

We have a secret, just we three... the killdeer, and I... well, come to think of it... we have a secret but it's more than just we three...  I'm sure that if none of you don't peep, I'll do my best, too, the secret to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment