Thursday, May 12, 2016

Pork Chops with Herbs' Rub

I promised this particular recipe at a show we attended about a week ago.  I promised I would get this recipe online.  This is a recipe for two people.  Also, I love basil and thyme so I'm a little heavy handed on those two herbs.  The culinary lavender I use is 'Folgate" because it is mild (some of the lavenders can be a little overpowering).  I grind the lavender in my designated coffee grinder set aside for my herbs.  I prefer fresh herbs but dried can do, too.   I apologize for the time it took to fulfill that promise but here goes:

2 pork chops

Rub for Pork Chops

Herbs: dried basil, dried marjoram (or oregano), dried thyme, terragon, dried lavender buds.  (About a teaspoon of dried basil, marjoram, thyme and about 1/2 tsp of lavender and terragon.)  With fresh lavender, I go out and clip off about 3-4 sprigs of basil, marjoram and thyme and about 1-2 sprigs of terragon.  (I cut the fresh herbs with a vegetable chopper in a wooden bowl a friend gave me years ago.)  The lavender is dried so I use about 1/2 tsp of lavender.  I find that, as I use the lavender, I add more and more to the mix because I like the unique flavor it brings to the dish.)

If you would like to keep this rub around for your next meal, increase the amount, mix all herbs together and put them in a sandwich bag or plastic container.

Roasting the Pork Chops

Rub the pork chops evenly on both sides with the herbs.  (Option:  You may cover them for a couple of hours and put them in the refrigerator.)  Preheat the oven to 475° .  Place the pork chops on a roasting rack and cover with aluminum.  Bake 15-17 minutes, remove the cover, turn over and reduce heat to 350 °.  Continue roasting for 10 minutes or until the center of the pork chop is not pink.  Melt butter and drizzle over the chops. (Option:  Place under broiler and lightly brown the tops.)

The next time I make these, I'll try to take a photo.

Enjoy this delicious way to fix pork chops.  And, experiment with your herbs (you might like summer savory or fennel) because there may be some you like better than others and some that you don't like at all (my husband doesn't seem to appreciate basil very much)...


No comments:

Post a Comment