Friday, July 21, 2017

July 21, 2017 Lavender Update

The lady bugs are just now coming out in the lavender as well as the preying mantis.  The peaceful little bees are busy and every where.  They just move to the next plant when I cut the stems.  I love the bees.  Just like the different colors of lavender in our field, we also have several colors of butterflies flitting about.  A couple years ago, my older grandson and I found a snake hugging the drip irrigation.   I said "Yikes" (among a few other things I probably shouldn't have said, especially in front of an impressionable teenager) while my grandson named him Sam, gave me a demeaning look for what I said, whipped out his cell phone and Googled to see what kind of snake "Sam" was: "a common garden snake which are very beneficial to mankind".  He wasn't common to me:  he was (at least) a two-foot slithering split-tongued scary creature hiding in my field of lavender!  To make a long story longer, my grandson made up all these "what if" stories as we left "Sam the Beneficial Snake to all mankind" alone and exited the lavender field.  Those young people and their Googling fact checking:  it's a snake, for goodness sake!  And that's all I'm saying about the snake incident

We are currently harvesting all our Angustifolia (English) lavenders.  English lavenders are shorter stemmed than the Intermedias, have a wonderful fragrance and are usually considered cold hardier than the Intermedias (although our Intermedias have withstood some bone chilling weather and are starting to bloom with the hot summer sun).  We plan to start harvesting the Intermedias next week.

One of the most beautiful of the English lavenders (in my opinion) is Peter Pan.  Deep purple in color, they have a lovely fragrance and keep their exquisite deep color when dried.  Some people like to use them for borders and hedges.

'Peter Pan'

Still Waters Lavender is open Thursday through Saturday, 10a-4p.  We hope to see you and will make you kindly welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment